Help generating/building a new VM?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Apr 23 15:13:49 UTC 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 08:04 am, Hunter Kelly wrote:
> Hello there, I'm trying to generate a VM for linux that is more
> recent that the 3.0 release or even the 3.1beta-4478 vm available
> from Ian P's page.

Are you using an Intel machine? You didn't say...

> I quickly get  a print-out in the upper left hand corner that says:
>
> Error: Cannot truncate this number
>
> then a stack trace -- it looks like there is a problem in Float
> somehwere, but below that the error kinda looks like it is starting
> in PreDebugWindow>>initialize.

Solution: Don't use GCC 3.0x to compile with. Use 2.95 or 2.96. It can
co-exist with GCC3 if you install it right.

First, there is a bug in the configure stuff that gets the wrong float
ordering. Even if you fix that, I've had problems with some of the
plugins.

See the recent thread that discussed this:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1062189

Short answer if you are stuck with GCC 3.0x: you can hand-edit the
sqUnixConfig.h file, making sure that DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER is defined.
Then it should run, but you may still have some problems with
plugins. You may want to back down on optimization.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com