[BUG] Problem with POPSocket

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 23 18:24:44 UTC 2002

Ken Causey <ken at ineffable.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> P.S. I've got to wonder if this couldn't be handled at some relatively
> low level in a handful of places and remove this bit of policy.  Surely
> there are a small handful of code pieces that must be passed through
> before any use of network can be made, such as Socket creation.

Socket creation probably isn't the place to do it - there must surely be
situations where you need to create sockets but don't yet want to make
any attempts at connection.

One possibility is to add an exception signal to the appropriate
primitive methods and have the default action be to try to init the
network. Of course, that means one needs to be able to work out the
reason the prim failed which can be difficult sometimes since we get no
information except the fact of failure.

tim
Useful random insult:- Couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.