Saving problem on Win98

Maarten Maartensz maartens at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 24 13:39:38 UTC 2002

Hello,

I've got a strange problem on Win98 when trying to save recent Squeaks in
all possibilities on the menu. It happens with every image I tried: I can't
save the image properly anymore, except for the first 64 bytes. The
SqueakDebug.log I get is each time similar. Here is one:

--- begin log

Error: Failed to write image file (disk full?)
24 April 2002 3:19:35 pm

VM: Win32 - Squeak3.1alpha of 28 February 2001 [latest update: #3844]
Image: Squeak3.2alpha [latest update: #4554]

SystemDictionary(Object)>>error:
	Receiver: a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aString: 	'Failed to write image file (disk full?)'
	Receiver's instance variables:
		tally: 	1830
		array: 	#(nil #MIDISynth nil #CArrayAccessor #BalloonEngineSimulation
#ScorePlay...etc...
		cachedClassNames: 	nil

SystemDictionary>>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:
	Receiver: a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		save: 	true
		quit: 	true
		embeddedFlag: 	false
		resuming: 	nil
		msg: 	'----QUIT----#(24 April 2002 3:19:14 pm)'
		sourceLink: 	' priorSource: 10445260'
		theClass: 	nil
	Receiver's instance variables:
		tally: 	1830
		array: 	#(nil #MIDISynth nil #CArrayAccessor #BalloonEngineSimulation
#ScorePlay...etc...
		cachedClassNames: 	nil

SystemDictionary>>snapshot:andQuit:
	Receiver: a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		save: 	true
		quit: 	true
	Receiver's instance variables:
		tally: 	1830
		array: 	#(nil #MIDISynth nil #CArrayAccessor #BalloonEngineSimulation
#ScorePlay...etc...
		cachedClassNames: 	nil

TheWorldMenu>>saveAndQuit
	Receiver: a TheWorldMenu
	Arguments and temporary variables:

	Receiver's instance variables:
		myProject: 	a Project(New Changes)
		myWorld: 	a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
		myHand: 	a HandMorph(3216)

--- The rest of the stack ---
TheWorldMenu>>doMenuItem:with:
[] in MenuItemMorph>>invokeWithEvent:
BlockContext>>ensure:
CursorWithMask(Cursor)>>showWhile:
MenuItemMorph>>invokeWithEvent:
MenuItemMorph>>mouseUp:
MenuItemMorph>>handleMouseUp:
MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
MenuItemMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
MenuItemMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
MenuMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
MenuMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:
MenuMorph>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess

--- end log

Comments:

1. The disk is NOT full, is properly defragmented, and Windows reports no
errors on it.
2. In many cases I can see a full save of Squeak happen in that an image of
some 16 MB is first written to the disk (according to Windows) and then
removed (idem), after which I get the above error.
3. It happens when saving with the mouse and saving with the keyboard, and
also when I disconnect one of these  physically from the computer and save
with the remaining item. (So it's not likely one of these.)
4. This happens the last 48 hours or so, and happened to images and in a
system that worked quite well the last half year, and with which I don't
have serious problems otherwise. (I.e. the rest works and I don't get
error-reports.)
5. It probably is mostly a Windows+Squeak-problem rather than a
Squeak-problem, and also probably has to do with my vanilla-Win98 system.
6. It is not a wholly consistent error: Some saves of the image succeeded
unproblematically, but most don't, for the last 48 hours.
7. The other processes running on my Windows are (according to Windows) the
same as before, when I had no problems.

Does anybody have any ideas how to solve this or where to look for cues
about the cause?

Regards,

Maarten.