[Squeak32] Aparent Performance problems

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Apr 26 00:10:51 UTC 2002

Diego Gomez Deck wrote:

> Hi...
>
> When a newbie reports a "performance problem" with squeak, most of the times it's a difference between "display depth" option in Squeak and the host SO option... 9 of 10 times, putting the same value the "problem" desapears.
>
> I think that could be usefull to explain this option in the main project of a just downloaded image....

This not-always-simple topic is covered in the Squeak FAQ item "FAQ: Squeak Performance Tuning"... see http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1799 .  This page should probably be updated with some of the info that Andreas just provided.

I'm not sure if the color-depth mismatch problem is big enough to warrant an explanation right on the startup screen (main project) of Squeak, but perhaps there could be pointers from the startup screen to the Squeak FAQ, or to certain FAQ items...

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com