[Squeak32] Aparent Performance problems

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 26 00:16:27 UTC 2002

Mike Shields <Mike_Shields at gscmobilesolutions.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I still don't know which endianness (big- or little-) to choose...
> I think it showed up in 3.2, but what is that talking about? Is it possible
> for the endianness of the video bytes to be different than the cpu? What
It certainly is - imagine a PC video card that assumes little endian
with M$'s wierd pixel format (8 or 16 bit pixels are sort of
middle-endian) installed in a machine with a PPC cpu. Then mix in the
fact that Squeak considers bitmaps to be big endian in Mac format.

Andreas & I debated the issues around this for at least a year before
working it out in the treaty of Denver. It really can make your head
spin.

tim
Strange OpCodes: JUM: Jeer at User's Mistake