PLEASE use MIME Atttachments! (was: Re: [FIX] Comments for Set...)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 26 09:48:23 UTC 2002

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> 	Ok, apart from the technical discussion on different ways to send binary
> 	blobs through email - current tools in the Squeak community (the fixes
> 	archiver etc) and the developers themselves (especially harvesters) have
> 	agreed on using MIME attachments with gzipped changesets.
>
> 	Can we just accept that decision? Accepting multiple formats will surely
> 	create problems of different kinds and we can do without that.
>
> Well, what is someone who _can't_ do that to do?
> Just shut up and never make a contribution?

Nope, of course not. We can all try to help you of course - and we are.

BUT - we don't want people mailing code to the list in .st format, in
.sit compressed files, just pasted into emails, uuencoded .st files,
uuencoded .cs files, whatever-kind-of-funky-format-of-the-day files etc.
It just doesn't work.

And if you have made a contribution to Squeak, then you have Celeste
etc. And then you should be able to send a mail to the list using that.
Sure, you have some problem apparently so that it doesn't work but the
only thing you really need (to be able to do that AFAICT) is an SMTP
server. And you have specified your SMTP server, right? (just checking)

> I've explained that I have _tried_ using Celeste and I've _tried_
> using 'mail to list', and the messages _do not appear_ in the mailing list.

This sounds to me to be the problem to fix. Is your SMTP server working
correctly? Can you try SMTPSocket class>>example and see if it arrives?
That is what Celeste uses. And when sending it, have you had Transcript
open? It shows what it's doing.

[SNIP]
> Would it help if I provide a UUdecoder written in Squeak?

Sure. But I would personally not want contributions to be posted in more
than one agreed format.
If you can post using uuencode through some form of frontend so that the
contribution in the end gets posted in MIME format on the list then that
is of course ok because nobody would then be affected.

There are lots of good contributions posted on the list and people want
to be able to easily pick one up and install in their Squeak. It can
never be easy if we have multiple formats.

> (But no, I don't suppose _that_ will be accepted unless it's sent as
> an attachment.)

I guess that you implied a smiley there. ;-)

And in another posting you wrote:
> 	Fine. However, for distributing Squeak changesets we agreed on MIME
> 	attachments. It would be nice if you accepted this.
>
> Who's this "we"?  _I_ never agreed to it.

Well, we have been doing it this way for a long time, there is a
toolchain setup that depends on it, it is documented on the Swiki etc.
It is fair to say that the community has "agreed" to do it this way. But
of course - we didn't specifically ask you about it... :-o

regards, Göran