mac os-x VM migrates (maybe) to Unix Socket Code

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Apr 26 17:40:30 UTC 2002

Given this talk about socket stuff I'm considering dumping the
current macintosh Open Transport code (layered on bsd sockets) to use
the unix socket implementation.

Not that we need to do this, but I get rid of a whole support area
and foster it upon the Unix VM supporter (kinda). Well I've still got
the os-9 users, but I've not had much call to tinker in that open
transport code for a year or more now.

So any thoughts on this?

But I do need some mac os-x users who really use the network layer in
Squeak to step forth and become beta testers to ensure all is well.

If someone can/would/might port my Network Test SUnit to current
levels that would be great! I'd like to be able to have the SUnit do
more tests and really confirm how Sockets work accross all major VM
platforms.