How do you define "object-oriented"?

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Fri Apr 26 23:52:52 UTC 2002

Hi Dan, Jecel,

> > In my opinion, Object-orientation is: Objects
> > communicating through message passing.
> That sounds good.

That sounds good for me, but as a definition in our current "state of the
art" in Object Technology.
I think that if we find another mechanism (and medium) to replace message
sending in the future, the systems will be also object systems because they
are products of applying reductionism.

(Imagine) we can use machines where objects are "in contact" and diffusion
of fluids replace message passing... most of our "pure" Object Techniques
will be applicable.
Yes, we can talk on messages but at a high level, because diffusion in
liquids are fuzzy and messages can not be focused only on anObject and a
message can be altered while sent (like symbols and memes jumping between
mind to mind in a society).

Ale.