Storage

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Apr 27 06:23:27 UTC 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:51:48PM -0500, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
> Oh, yes, my point.  Squeak does things differently than software in other
> lineages.  When I want to store data, I don't think about using MySQL.  I
> cringe when I see projects on freshmeat.net that use MySQL for keeping
> lists of mp3s or a few thousand contacts.  I just use an image segment or
> SmartRefStream.  More natural in the context of the environment, and
> easier to boot.

Could you (or someone else) say more about image segments and
SmartRefStreams for data storage?  What exactly does one need to do?

I ask as someone who's building up a lot of data in my image, and
getting a bit nervous about it.  I'd love a real object database, but
GemStone is only available on Linux non-commercially (and I run MS
Windows too), and MinneStore seems not to have been migrated to recent
image versions.

[This is my 3rd attempt to send to the list; it seems the earlier
messages included headers that led the squeak-dev mailer to conclude
it had already seen the message.  Just mentioning it in case anyone
else notices the problem.]