straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Sat Apr 27 11:15:49 UTC 2002

Hi, Henrik,

The worst manifestation of the kind of situation you describe was
present for a few months in the image, between the publishing of
update 4722fixScrollbarOnRight-sm.cs in early December 2001 and the
arrival of update 4789scrollBarAgain-dew.cs in March 2002.  Between
those two updates, there was an inappropriately aggressive
comeToFront call in the scrollbar-display code that could make
windows gratuitously leap in front of naked morphs one was
interacting with.

But it's still unquestionably true that even though this problem was
fixed, interactions between windows and naked morphs in Morphic have
long been problematical in various ways, and that projects which have
both windows and naked morphs concurrently present and overlapping
are still subject to various annoyances and inconsistencies.

However, these issues are AFAIK entirely independent of the
menu-keyboard feature.  As you observed yourself, turning the
menu-keyboard preference on or off makes no difference to the
problems.

I originally proposed that the default value for menuKeyboardControl
be false  not because of any putative bugs but simply because it
seemed more like a power-user feature, one that could be very
perplexing to a new, unsuspecting user, and indeed a feature that
even some powerful users (such as Andreas) do *not* want.

But the only discussion about this preference that appeared on the
list was in favor of having it on, so in the latest round it went
back on by default.  However, thinking a little more about this, I
guess I still would support having it off by default after all, not
because a majority of our community do not use the feature (quite
possibly a majority *do* use it) but rather out of the same
avoid-gratuitous-surprises grounds that have made the discussion
favor out-of-the-box scrollbars that stay up and are positioned on
the right.

Cheers,

   -- Scott