straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Sun Apr 28 08:37:27 UTC 2002

Henrik,

Well yes, this one *does* have to do with the new focus mechanism.

I personally make constant use of desktop command-keys, and for that
reason I keep the "mouseOverForKeyboardFocus" preference set to
*true* in my image; that way, I can always issue any desktop
command-key by just letting the cursor stray out over open desktop,
then just hitting cmd-b or cmd-C or cmd-R or cmd-k or whichever
command I need at the moment, just like in the old days.

Others prefer having sticky keyboard focus (mouseOverForKeyboardFocus
= false), and instead of using the desktop command keys, they issue
shift-ESC to get the world menu at any moment, then cleverly type
into the resulting World menu and its submenus until they get to the
item they want.  Thus, shift-ESC res <return> will do a
restore-display (cf cmd-r), and shift-ESC win <ret> me <ret> will
bring up a Message-Names tool (cf cmd-shift-W).

Clearly, some people can easily get their brains wired to work that
way, but for me the old regime of having a handful of high-leverage
desktop command keys that provide one-touch access to a critical set
of the most frequently-needed tools is still the most empowering.

A hybrid alternative is also available, which allows the user to keep
mouseOverForKeyboardFocus *false* and yet still issue desktop command
keys:
first use shift-ESC to bring up the world menu from the keyboard,
then issue a command-key sequence to that menu.  Thus, shift-ESC
cmd-r will give you a restore-display, and shift-ESC cmd-shift-W will
bring up a Message-Names tool.

Cheers,

   -- Scott