Squeak UI and toolkit commentary: (was: Re: Who has no job? (was Re: O\'Reilly Squeak book?))

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Sun Apr 28 21:40:04 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Martin Drautzburg <martin.drautzburg at web.de>:
> marbusse at t-online.de (Markus Fritsche) writes:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2002 16:54 schrieben Sie:
> >
> > > And my defense here is that I don\'t really want to attract users.
> >
> > > I want to attract *developers*
> >
> > I don\'t want a car for drivers, I want a car for car mechanics?
> >
> > Regards, Markus
>
> Isn\'t it more like a \"car construction toolkit for car mechanics\" ?

Yes you are quite correct Martin. Currently I consider Squeak to be an excellent
\"car construction toolkit\" but a pretty lousy \"car\".

Well, I have lost some of the postings here but trying to explain again:

I don\'t personally find Squeak to be a good place yet for either total Smalltalk
beginners nor plain \"users\" of Squeak - meaning people who don\'t even want to
know Smalltalk, they want to use Squeak without coding.

I admit that I haven\'t seen how Squeak works without guidance, though I have my
suspicions. If you have guidance at hand then it\'s another story. Like the eToy
sessions with kids - the kids have guidance and it seems to work very well then.

BUT... I DO want to attract more developers to the Squeak community. And one
goal is of course to make Squeak a better place for beginners and users too.

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\\\"Department of Redundancy department.\\\" -- ThinkGeek