Some 3D initial reactions

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Mon Apr 29 15:45:25 UTC 2002

Andreas,

I finally made some time to experiment with Squeak's 3D graphics.
 Using a Wonderland w/o an editor seemed the way to go, as I'm
guessing that by the time I got Balloon3D to do what I wanted, I'd
have created a buggy version of Alice anyway.  Reasonable?

Alice's terminology was a _slight_ hinderance, because I know just
enough (though not much) about 3D graphics to expect different
conventions.  Even so, with the Squeak books handy, I had stuff
floating around on the screen under (horribly simplistic) user control
in just a few hours.

I'm really just getting started, but, the performance so far is fine on
my P4.  It appears not to be adequate on my P2-400 and a P3
here in my office, but, I'm not yet using hardware acceleration.

Interestingly, the same P2 was happy with slightly more graphics
using Dolphin's DirectX kit.  My guess is that hardware
acceleration was the key.  But, I can't prove it because enabling
acceleration on that machine in Squeak causes a crash.  I have a
dump if it will help.

Much to my surprise, my P4 experienced a reduction(!!) in frame
rate with acceleration enabled.  Same on the P3, but I hear lots of
disk activity, so maybe that's the problem?  The P3 has "only"
128MB of RAM, so with win2k, it's not the fastest machine.
However, it's also possible that I don't have the machines properly
configured.  Is there a way to tell whether Balloon3D is happy with
the setup?

Is there a way to disable shading?  Some of what I want to display
would actually be better as wire frames anyway.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology