Has anyone bothered to check out SqueakMap?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Aug 1 15:30:42 UTC 2002

Hi!

"Brent Vukmer" <bvukmer at blackboard.com> wrote:
> I think SqueakMap looks really, really cool.  I think it would be great if this also store feature requests / bug reports, and associated change sets, for a given package or module.

Feature requests and bug reports: Sure! Sounds like an interesting
capability. We just need it to be simple. I am thinking if we could just
add some sort of general "annotation" feature and then the user use the
categories to classify those annotations into "bug reports" or "feature
requests" or "bug fix" etc. And if these annotations could also be
linked together in threads we would solve a whole bunch of problems
using one single mechanism.

Example 1:

I just saw that Chris has a typo in his summary - "mutliuser". I can't
change his registration since I don't have the password (well, if I am
one of the administrators I could of course but let's say I am not). But
I could just enter an "annotation" using a simple Form at the bottom of
the package presentation page and classify that annotation as a
"Registration comment" (given that such a category exists of course).
Chris could also (when entering the registration) choose what annotation
categories he would like to be email-notified about. So given that he
elected to be notified about "Registration comments" he would get an
email with the annotation and a link to it.

Example 2:

I detect a bug in Magma and would like to file a bug report. We could
set up SqueakMap to listen to the mailinglist and to collect bug reports
that has the UUID of the package in them. Or you could simply add an
annotation like above but classify it as "Package bug report". Given
that we have a nice set of "flags" on annotations, Chris could later -
when the bug has been fixed - change the state for the bug report
annotation and perhaps even add an annotation himself as a "reply" to
it.

All in all such an annotation system would look a tiny bit like
Hypernews but simpler and with some extra whistles so that it can handle
bugs and fixes etc. Will think about it more. The annotations would
typically not be stored together with the current map because you
wouldn't always want to synch all that down. But we could simply add
another logfile for such "extra info".

And the next thing you mentioned: To be able to store associated files.
Sure, we could add that capability too.

regards, Göran