[ANN] Introducing Magma, an object database for Squeak

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Aug 2 02:23:19 UTC 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Chris Muller wrote:

> Don't worry, I have been through, literally, thousands of tests with Magma.
> The code is lucid and easy to maintain.  Additionally, I plan to be actively
> provide 100% support for this for at least the first month.

Chris, a few bug reports from my initial poking around.  These are pretty
superficial, hopefully I'll be able to look at the more meaty stuff later.

- "session commit" without "session begin" causes a strange walkback - the
UserError about not having an open txn seems to get returned instead of
signalled?

- trying to do something with a disconnected session doesn't give a
meaningful error message (this is the problem we were all having with
#create:root: in the initial release)

- save and quit and reload an image; any open session is now trashed (at
least in single user mode)

About the first two - having useful error messages probably isn't high on
your priority list (after all, you know what works and what doesn't) but
they're *vital* for those of us exploring to know what's a bug and what's
user error (and for user error, how to avoid it).

Thanks for all the hard work!  I also have a question, which I haven't
seen documentation for anywhere - what mechanism do transactions use to
find dirty objects?  Does it look at every object in the client side
cache, or somehow track changes as they occur?

Avi