Morphic slowness (was Re: Does *anyone* use MVC?)

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Aug 2 04:41:14 UTC 2002

>I tried this in my normal work image (3.2 gamma with all current updates, OS X VM 3.2.6Beta8) and got the attached results.  It's been awhile since I tried to interpret a profile like this, but it looks reasonable to me.  As far as I can see, a little less than half the time is being spent drawing the menu buttons and so on, and I think some of the rest is going to redraw surrounding parts of the browser and world background because the damage area may be specified larger than it really is (that last is a guess, though).   Do you get anything seriously different?

A very handy and intuitive tool for checking damage is #debugShowDamage, a preference which can be very simply enabled through the Preferences panel.

I turned it on and, sure enough, it immediately showed that every menu creation (from browser panes as well as the screen menu) is invalidating the top left corner of the screen (in exactly the shape of the menu).  Depending what's in the top left of your screen, this could be a serious time waster.

	- Dan

PS:  Oh, yes...
I checked a 2.8 Squeak and it does not exhibit this property (you have to edit the method for pasteUpMorph>>displayWorld, since debugShowDamage had not yet been made into a preference) and, yes, it feels a lot faster too.