Has anyone bothered to check out SqueakMap?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 2 12:48:13 UTC 2002

richard at simula.no wrote:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > I don't want to NAG, but have anybody at least looked at SqueakMap running in
> > part on: http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm
>
> Yeah I looked and I'm *really* pleased that your working on this.  I

:-)

> wish I had time to try it out and give you some quality feedback, but
> here is what I can offer:
>
> Search is the most important feature for users like me that want to use
> the work of others, but who are not regular contributers (yet).

Yes, I intend to integrate Scotts free text search enging which seems
both very fast and has some more advanced boolean options.

> I believe modules/modularity is the most important problem to be solved
> in the Squeak world, and I have been reading most postings regarding
> this topic, but still do not buy into the proposed solutions.  I'm

What do you not buy into? Just curious.

> curious about how much SqueakMap needs to know about the different types
> of "packages".  It seems dangerous to me to try to make SqueakMap too

My intention is that a Squeak "package" can be in whatever form you
like.
SqueakMap is NOT (I have repeated this many times and do it again) meant
only for the Modules system.

If you look at the registration Form you will se that I only require
this:

- A name. It is required to be unique in SqueakMap but you can change it
later.
- A version number (in whatever form you like, it is just a String).
- A one line summary describing the package.
- Author, Maintainer and Registrant - the three people that mostly is
one and the same. I only want name and email. For author I do not
require email.
- Selection among a few mandatory categories (this is not implemented
yet). An obvious example of such a category is "License". You would
typically have to choose one of the following: GPL, SqueakL, MIT, ...and
the rest of the known ones..., Other

Funny enough this would leave out the most important information though
- where is the package? :-) So I also require at least ONE of the
following:

- Module path
- Download url
- Homepage url

(I need to enforce this, currently it is not implemented)

> smart as you may end up having to do regular maintenance to support new
> modularity and packaging schemes.

As you see from the above this will not happen. The only "system" that
will be supported more "smartly" is the new Modules system I think, at
least as I see it today.

> In understanding and testing a system like SqueakMap, I appreciate
> use-case examples.  I didn't find those or other tutorial type
> documentation on your pages.

Nope, I should write down a few of those of course.

> Sorry this is not much help, but I hoped you would appreciate hearing
> why users like me don't investigate further.

And as that is IS help. :-) Finally I also want to say, yes, of course I
will make the web UI look nicer! :-) I have after all designed
http://www.bluefish.se so I am not totally lost when it comes to
"looks". It is just not a priority NOW.

The more interesting UI will be the SqueakMap Morphic browser I plan to
build. Or does anyone want to help with that?

> Rich

regards, Göran