Has anyone bothered to check out SqueakMap?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 2 15:12:14 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> One thing that I thought was conspicuous by its absence is dependency
> information (including links to other SqueakMap entries). I realize
> that Modules will try to deal with dependencies, but pre-Modules need
> to tell people about this as well. And even with Modules code, it
> would be useful to take the internal dependency information and make
> it available in the SqueakMap interface (so I can get a package and
> its prerequisites if I want).

I left out dependencies altogether since I didn't want to "intrude" into
the other Modules work.
They are recorded inside the module files and I have planned to let
SqueakMap poll registered modules and extract relevant info from the
modules themselves such as the dependencies. We could at that point also
extend the module format to optionally also include the rest of the
SqueakMap info and in that way relieve the developer of the module to
have to update the registration in SqueakMap.

I agree that pre-Modules also would need some form of dependencies and
we could add that. I would wait though until SqueakMap 1.0 is up and
running I think.

Do note though that if you want to install a Module the current Modules
system will automatically fetch all the dependencies too. So SqueakMap
don't need to help out with that. The only thing SqueakMap will help
with in that regard is to "tie together" the Module name space (the
repositories registrations) so that a module path can be resolved into
an url.

Thanks for the feedback - I will think some more about registering
dependencies...

The thing I am thinking most about right now is how to add simple but
still capable enough functionality to handle bug reports, fixes,
enhancements & addons and general feedback/discussion. If you have any
brilliant ideas about this I would gladly hear them. Some of my ideas
currently:

- Add a sortof "swiki page" at the bottom of a registration where people
can easily add comments etc. Very rudimentary to keep a low threshold
for using it. Perhaps have the ability for the registrant to lock
individual lines in that area by surrounding it with <lock> ... </lock>
or something! (interesting idea even for a Swiki)
- Add a general mechanism for "attaching" notes to a registration that
could be classified using categories and contain attachments - almost
like a mail (subject, message, attachments, sender) but with added
classification using categories. This might cover both bug reports,
fixes and enhancements. Presented similarly to Hypernews but with some
nice filtering - like show only unresolved bugs etc.

Another BIGGIE is how the heck a nice SqueakMap browser in Morphic would
look like! You Ned as being one of my most respected "Morphic Gurus"
could perhaps think about this. I have sofar just a single thought: I
hate tree widgets but love browsers. How do we navigate the category
tree (with the added trickyness that a package can belong to many
categories) in an effective way without the tree widget? The reason I
dislike tree widgets (sometimes they are ok) is that they tend to grow
to "high" when digging so you loose perspective. Perhaps a personal
thing.

Sidenote:

In SqueakMap I have elected sofar to not have "user accounts". I did
this in order to lower the threshold for people to use it. I am
considering to add it later on though because it could make some things
easier (less passwords to enter, autofilled fields in registrations
etc).

regards, Göran