Good Old Smalltalks [was: Re: Progrmaming in Bytecode?]

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Aug 2 16:25:49 UTC 2002

>Also, Dan a few year ago for fun did an emulation of the Alto in Squeak that would run Smalltalk-72. The original "blue book" that contained the ST-72 system bootstrap is quite fun to read.

It's actually an emulation of the ST-72 interpreter for that ALTO, not the ALTO in general (thought about it, but someone else was already doing that, and I wasn't as interested).

As Marcus points out, you can find it at

	ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/goodies/Smalltalk-72/

I'll try, in the next little while, to package it all up as a project that can be loaded into a vanilla Squeak, so it's easier for people to play with.

About ST-76, the entire paper is available on line at

	http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/St76/
		Smalltalk76ProgrammingSystem.html

(sorry, you'll have to glue those two lines together), thanks to a lot of careful work by Dwight Hughes.

And Speaking of ST-76, Helge Horch and I have been playing off and on with a Squeak reconstruction of that system (I have the bootstrap for it, too).  Maybe now is the time to get it actually running.  There are a number of approaches which I can go into if there's more interest.

	- Dan