Anyone here use Prefab?

Chris Reuter cgreuter at rogers.com
Fri Aug 2 18:58:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:03:29AM +0500, reic0024 at d.umn.edu wrote:
> good day all,
>
> The recent discussion about groups of radio-buttons made me wonder, why
> do I feel like I'm the only one who uses Prefab around here?

_I_ still use Prefab, but I'm biased.

>                                                                To solve
> the problem of a group of radio buttons, you simply draw a drame and put
> the radio buttons inside of it.  I remember you have to do something
> similar in REALbasic, and probably VB (guessing).
>
> Yet, prefab doesn't do everything.  Right now, it has widgets for a
> button, check button, multi-line text area,  single-line edit field,
> frame, label, list-box radio-button and scrollbar.  That's fairly
> comprehensive, and I use it for whipping stuff together when I would
> usually use something like REALbasic.
>
> Is there anyone working on this still?

I continue to toil away at it, but progress is slow due to life and
stuff like that.  (Well, OK, I don't _really_ have a life, but I like
to pretend.)  I also haven't really read the mailing list in a long
time for similar reasons.  (As an aside, has anyone suggested putting
the list up on a private NNTP server?).

But Prefab is slowly progressing.  New features include:

	-you can now set widget fonts

	-listbox items can be disabled or get set to a different,
	potentially unique color.

	-Managers are now nestable.

	-There's now a sliced-frame manager.  This is a window split into
	multiple panes, each separated by a movable bar so you can adjust
	the sizes by dragging them.

	-There's now support for keyboard navigation.

>                                          I plan on adding some widgets,
> but I don't want to duplicate any work.

Well, you can download the mostly-latest version from my website.  I
just now put the latest changeset there.  The URL is:

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~cgreuter/downloads/PrefabChanges.020702.cs.gz

This is alpha code, but it (mostly) works for me.

BTW, I still accept change sets.  Just make sure it works and is
documented.  Also, please don't pretty-print any of _my_ methods if
you need to change them since this really confuses the version
comparison thingy in Squeak.

> http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~cgreuter/prefab.html

> The truly incredibly thing about Prefab, unlike a lot of packages,
> especially GUI ones, is that it works on Squeak 2.7 up to 3.2 (by my own
> testing- probably works on 3.3a, maybe 2.6!).

Hmmm.  I think I might have broken this with the changes,
unfortunately.  I'm still using 3.0 so I haven't looked into it much,
but it looks like the themeable SystemWindows clash with my own
subclass thereof.

It shouldn't be too hard to fix, though.

                              --Chris

--
Chris Reuter                           http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~cgreuter
"we're not trolls.  we're just staggeringly misinformed on an incredible