Magma design

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Aug 2 22:58:07 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Chris Muller wrote:

> Is there any kind of cache control in Magma?  For example, if I have a
> client that is running for many weeks and accessing lot's of objects,
> once they are pulled from the server to the client, are they going to
> stay in the client indefinitely?  Is there some way of controlling how
> many objects are retained in the client's object memory?
>
> A:  The only "caching" Magma does is in weak collections, so there shouldn't be
> anything that you don't cache yourself.

Right, but once a stub gets replaced with a real object, the real object
will never get replaced back with a stub, correct?
Which means that, since the session has a reference to the root, and the
root has a reference to every other object in the database, once an object
is pulled into the client it will never be garbage collected unless it is
removed from the database.  This can be a problem for long running
clients.  I think what Stephen is suggesting is that, for example, you
periodically becomeForward: objects back into stubs that have not been
used for a certain length of time.