Magma design

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Aug 4 01:37:10 UTC 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Chris Muller wrote:
> I'm quite confused why I would need to turn objects back into stubs.
> My assumption was, if your program still needed (read: referenced) an
> object, they wouldn't do it any good as a stub.
>
> If your program doesn't need them, they'll be gc'ed.
>
> What am I missing?

But say my program *does* reference the root.  That does not mean that I
want to keep every object in the database in memory, even though I do
(indirectly, through the root) reference them.  The fact that they start
out as stubs is an admission of this.  Objects that your program has
direct references to aren't the issue, it's the objects further down the
tree - just because you referenced them once does't mean you care about
them any more.