[ENH] BalloonOpt-nk

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Sun Aug 4 06:07:45 UTC 2002

Hi, Ned,

If you look carefully at Morph>>balloonText, I think you'll find that
if the extension already has balloon text in it, that text is
retrieved and used as-is, without further word-wrapping, whereas if
the extension does *not* already have balloon text in it, the
balloon-help string is created and word-wrapped at that time.

Thus, I don't see that there ever is a case in the existing code
where the balloon text is being word-wrapped twice, and in fact your
proposed change would leave us with *no* word-wrap in most cases,
since you're bypassing the truncation in #balloonText: and the
existing code of #balloonText also bypasses it upon retrieval from
the extension.

Consequently, for example, after loading your change set you'll
notice that there's no wrapping at all any more for, say, the balloon
help associated with the items in the World menu, and for an extreme
case in point, check out the resulting balloon help for the "change
theme..." item in the Appearance submenu.

Cheers,

   -- Scott