Animorphic ST (Strongtalk) released!

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun Aug 4 16:06:53 UTC 2002

Stephen Pair wrote:

> And, as I've said before, I think the typing should be optional for both
> the writer and the reader (meaning that any attempt to do this in Squeak
> should take into consideration that even though the author of a method
> may have included type annotations, the reader may not want to see
> them).

They're already optional for the writer.  I've the feeling that for the
reader they can't/shouldn't be optional.  Without types, the writer
might choose "anInteger" or "nameString" as the variable name.  With
types, however, "anInteger<Integer>" looks like stuttering and
"amout<Int>" or "name<String>" whould be more appropriate.  With types
stripped off, thinks become worse now.

I'd perfer to experiment with a different syntax for types.  Perhaps
"amout at Int" or "amout :int" wouldn't be so bothering.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust   //
www.3plus4software.de // Inter Deum Et Diabolum Semper Musica Est