Animorphic ST (Strongtalk) released!

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Aug 4 17:57:31 UTC 2002

Hi Stefan,

I think that you are right. But imagine what would be any Smalltalk where
a company would
throw away the amount of money that is currently been put in Eclipse. If
they would not have something
this would be really a problem. But wait soon Eclipse will just look pale
compared to .Net environment.
(the fun aspect of it is that people will just have another chance to get
radical against .Net so for Sun).

Now I often think about pyramids. You take hordes of slaves, kill a lot of
them and repeat
you get your pyramids. Now this is a bit the same with programming
languages even with smart slaves.
I'm always fascinated that 5 guys working in a distributed setting with
crazy deadlines and apparently complete lack of understanding from disney
and strange goals (imagine kid programming) could make Squeak (with all
the parts we hate all).

So I dream about a Smalltalk where a lot of money would be put in....

I can tell you that in our spare time (mainly the night roel and I are
building a browser that would for example avoid all the popping of windows)
  with a simple (trivial) type inferencer we could have easy method
completion. And a real powerful environment. It works now on VW7 and we
are waiting for the cleaning Andreas is doing in the dark of morphic to
port it.

Another Stef but with ph :)

Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/