Deploying Squeak Apps

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 5 18:25:08 UTC 2002

Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I've been wondering about something lately...how are people on this list
> deploying Squeak applications?

Incidentally, there is a page on this on the Swiki:

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/778

It's hidden on the "Squeak Executables" FAQ, but perhaps it should be
separated from the EXE question.

Also, I put together an example distribution once upon a time for a
program called Julia Explorer:

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1976

Unfortunately I've not gotten all the versions of that distribution
repackaged, but you can see the idea from looking at the page.  I went
for the one-image per program model that you describe.  It just seems
more logical to me.  There are lots of images around, and it would take
a lot of planning to make multiple apps work with the same image.  Plus
you have to deal with getting the image distributed, which is a pain if
people are only downloading one image.

I don't think images are too big except for the smallest of utility
programs.  Just do it; no one scoffs at downloading 5 megs nowadays for
a program, and you can reduce it, anyway, if you try hard enough.

By the way, don't forget that you can leave out changes and sources
files.

Also by the way, consider carefully whether you are distributing to
squeakers or to the general public.  Squeakers are happy with, eg, the
project files that Alan mentioned, but the general public would not be.
(At least not yet....)

-Lex