Mac OS X vs. Linux: Modifier keys and performance

reic0024 at d.umn.edu reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Aug 5 10:57:13 UTC 2002

Hola!

When I switched from Mac OS X to Linux on my iBook, one of the first
things I noticed in Linux is that Control-, Cmd- and Option-Click don't
work in the Linux VM like they do on OS X.  Not a big issue, I can still
get to the left and right buttons using the Enter and F11 buttons.  I've
mostly converted my brain to making the long reach for F11 rather than
using option-click... but why is this not in the Unix VM, out of
curiousity?

Also, it seems weird that Squeak is faster under OS X than it is in
Linux, tinyBenchmark-wise, substantially.  On my iBook under Debian 3,
using the 3.2-3 VM, I get:  '33402922 bytecodes/sec; 1466148 sends/sec';
under OS X, I believe I got more like 45 million bytecodes/sec- about
36% faster. (wow!)  It's not of huge concern, as I think I'm switching
back to OS X for faster Squeak.   Anyone have any guesses why this
performance disparity exists?  I originally switched *to* Linux figuring
that it would be faster under Linux, as so much else was. :P

Regards,
Aaron