Cross-platform path specification (was RE: Access directory relatively)

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Mon Aug 5 22:11:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Alan Kay wrote:

> What about using backslash "\"?

Well, as a Mac programmer I'd vote for :, but don't want to get into some
pathname delimiter holy war. :)

To me, $, makes sense because this is how I'd want concatenating paths to
other paths should work.  I like this solution.

I think it would also make sense for other purposes, like to make sure
that

 FileDirectory root , 'a', 'b', 'c'

Would do something like you'd expect.

Right now, I'm happy if I can trust FileDirectory default pointing to the
image/changes files and coding relative to that.  I try to keep external
file system dependence to a minimum, but this is a case that loading
ALL the files into the image would be dangerous (i.e., running out of
memory).

-Eric