Cross-platform path specification (was RE: Access directory relatively)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Aug 5 23:29:44 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 04:10:11PM -0700, Luciano Notarfrancesco wrote:

> I think the ANSI spec doesn't talk about
> FileDirectories or paths at all. But I'm glad you
> mentioned the standard. Wouldn't it be nice to
> implement the ANSI <FileStream factory> protocol in
> FileStream class and FileDirectory? I think Richard
> Harmon did this long time ago (together with lots of
> ANSIfication stuff).

You're right. I just downloaded a copy of the (draft) spec, and it says:

  There is specification only for the creation and use of readable and writeable
  file streams.  There is not support for read/write file streams. Nor is there any
  specification of file or directory manipulation, as these facilities are considered
  by the Committee to be too platform-dependent and too implementation-dependent to
  standardize at this time, and it is felt that streaming is adequate.

The ANSI flavor of FileStream would presumably be an improvement, but there
is apparently so such thing as an ANSI FileDirectory.

- Dave