Cross-platform path specification (was RE: Access directory relatively)

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Aug 6 09:30:31 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>:
> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have
> written:

> > > And I don't like this so much, because it answers a
> > > closed file and you have to do "file open: #readOnly"
> > > or whatever.
> >
> > I'd rather deal with filenames as separate entities from files.
> > There's a lot that can be done with filenames that never requires
> > opening a file.
> 'zactly. Like checking for directory/file, permissions, size,
> existance(!), building a list for use later, all sorts of things. Oh,
> copying may very likely need a name (or a pair, I guess) rather than a
> filestream.

I must say I am not sure I like the proposal of using #, as described above.

A newbie having learned that #, is used for concatenation would (I am guessing)
mistake this for being concatenation of Strings. And what would happen if you
really wanted to concatenate two Strings thus forming a name of a directory?

I like the addition of FileName for reasons stated and I also think we finally
should try to get Richard's ANSI stuff into the base. Unfortunately I don't have
any good proposal to the problem of specification of x-platform filepaths, but
it SHOULD be solvable somehow...

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek