Cross-platform path specification (was RE: Access directory relatively)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 6 21:05:13 UTC 2002

>I really think that comma is a good selector to use, since we really are
>concatenating elements on to a path. People really do need to understand
>that filenames are not strings and you can't properly build them by simply
>sticking strings together with slashes in there somehow.

Ah, I'll point out for the mac users who are using the project
builder carbon native version versus (versus the ObjC version) that
file names going into the VM are of the string form

"Lamie:Squeak:Squeak3.0 Folder:Building4889:foo:bar"

In the macroman character set.

Magically underneath, they really become

"/Volumes/Lamie/Squeak/Squeak3.0 Folder/Building4889/foo/bar"

In the UTF8 character set.

Of course if there are any aliases in the path, those get resolved to
the real path name which could be quite different.