Squeak on PDA

reic0024 at d.umn.edu reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Aug 7 04:17:24 UTC 2002

Bergel Alexandre <bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> I know the question was asked very often, but because I am about to buy a pda, I want to have
> an uptodate answer. On which pda could I see squeak to run ?

The short answer: Anything running WinCE, preferabbly with a 206 MHz
StrongARM processor.

Longer answer: Pretty much anything running WinCE.  You can easily get
by with a B&W iPAQ 3100-series machine and a 64 MB CF card, setting you
back less than US$175- eBay has lots of them.  If you have the money to
spare, anything newer would be nice as well- 32 MB of RAM lets you run
the 3.2 image directly out of the box without any memory problems.  An
iPAQ 3600 series would let you have Squeak in full-color for not too
much.

Also, a Linux PDA like the Zaurus is a possibility too, and just as
fast.  However, you'll have to pay a little more to get into it than you
could with the cheapest color 32MB iPAQ.

Speaking of memory: Yoshika- is there any way you could enable a
Squeak.mem file for the Handheld PC/2000 release of the CE VM? Noticed I
had it on the iPAQ, but not the Jornada 720... also, perhaps being able
to set the size of memory-maped file would be awesome too! :)

Has anyone run Squeak on the new XScale 400 MHz devices?  Does the
performance issues apply to Squeak as well?  That is, benchmarks and
general 'feel' is that they don't run any faster than the 206 MHz
StrongARM devices, owing to completely a non-optimized OS.

well, this be my last email before I head out of town for a few days to
see David Bowie! woot!

Regards,
Aaron