Squeak on PDA

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Aug 7 14:49:45 UTC 2002

 <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> said:
>Has anyone run Squeak on the new XScale 400 MHz devices?  Does the
>performance issues apply to Squeak as well?  That is, benchmarks and
>general 'feel' is that they don't run any faster than the 206 MHz
>StrongARM devices, owing to completely a non-optimized OS.

It can be worse: my ARM9-based Nokia 9210 doesn't feel faster than my
prehistoric 16MHz Palm :)

OBTW: I spend the 70 Euros on 40G of drivespace, so with a bit of luck I'll be
able to install the Nokia SDK on my machine somewhere in the coming weeks
(quite tricky to setup b/c of Nokia's brain-damaged SDK policy - only for
Windows and the GNUPOC guys aren't allowed to redistribute a fixed kit, so
I need to install Windows and Wine and crosscompilers and whatnot - but
apparently, the setup works under Linux).

I've looked around for apps again last week, and basically there's
zilch. But there are some ports of similar stuff (Frodo, the C64 emulator;
SDL; CDoom), so it should be able to get Squeak on it reasonably quick -
that's an environment that easily outdoes the braindead UI of EPOC R6. The
only real issue is the lack of a pointer device; I'll probably get mad
enough about it to attach a laptop trackball to the expansion port (I have
a serial cable with a DB-9 one one end, the only hard part is probably the
device driver).

Speaking of PDA's, which one gives the most screen-real-estate-bang for the
buck? I think that's one thing the Communicator is quite good, with 640x200.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo