Squeak for WinCE/x86?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Aug 7 18:42:10 UTC 2002

 <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> said:
>It would be less work to get a purely functional for Squeak system, very
>small, but with everything you need.  Maybe it's possible, but you get
>with this WinCE x86 image a fully functional browser w/ JavaScript and
>128 bit SSL, a bunch of 'office' apps, PIM apps, drivers and windowing
>system in about 16 MB.

Ok, I thought you were talking about just using WinCE as the glue between
Squeak and the metal, so I didn't look at apps. Linux-as-glue would probably
fit in 16Mb (1Mb kernel, 1.5Mb libs, you could probably get the X server down
to 2Mb but the standard one is 3Mb, the X libs account for 1.1Mb, and then
you'd need one or two executables - ifconfig for example and a couple of kB in
/etc, say another 512k; that's around 7Mb. My Squeak executable is around a
megabyte, so you'd even have some 8Mb left for the image (probably more,
because I'm quoting SuSE figures; the executables on distributions like Toms
RTBT etcetera are usually quite a bit smaller).

We could beg Cincom for SSL, that leaves a Javascript implementation :-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo