[Magma] performance (was: test result)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Aug 8 07:23:43 UTC 2002

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> said:
>I can as necessary, if need be (do I need more disclaimers :), can
>upgrade to VW since I can enter for the $500 and use OmniBase (for $?).

$395. And I think that for $895, you won't find a better
development/deployment environment :-).

>In general I prefer open source both philosophically and monetarily.

Yup. Although, as far as I'm concerned and for practical purposes, I value
access to source code more than strict conformance to OSD's etcetera, so VW
is quite passable. As long as I can hack...

BTW: for me, OmniBase is new as well. Now that I'm starting to put serious
amounts of data into it, I've taken up to write an XML object export/import
tool. The idea is to serialize an object with all its 'by-value' references
and with pointers to oid's of other persistent objects (and these oid's are
filenames, so you can easily find them back). I did some experimenting
yesterday - the format is quite verbose, but gzipped it's ok. With such a
system in place, I'll have backups outside the database which'll help me sleep
a lot better...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo