Squeak for WinCE/x86?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Aug 8 11:32:27 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 08:46:58AM +0200, Cees de Groot wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> said:
> >I would like to possibly explore this sometime soon. I will be
> >purchasing a couple of hard drives and was wanting to explore with my
> >Linux setup.
> >
> Blochs might be a good tool to explore the whole bootstrap concept.
>
> >What Linux facilities will I want for a fully enabled Squeak?
> >Including those which could be used by OSProcess.
> >
> Personally, I'd like to explore a Linux with:
> - Kernel
> - X server
> - Squeak
> - sh, ifconfig to boot the thing.
> So 1 kernel, 4 executables, and a bunch of shared libs. OSProcess would become
> a bit useless :-). The idea is to replace /sbin/init (the hard-coded name of
> the executable that Linux starts up first) with a little shell script that
> sets up the network (that's why I need ifconfig), and then starts the X server
> with an xinit script that starts Squeak in full-screen mode.

This is essentially what I do on my iPaq, except I let the X-server/squeak
startup get handled by an /etc/rc script (I like to keep the OS visible :)

Contrary to popular belief, the X-server can be built to be quite small..
I believe the one on the iPaq is about 700k in size.  Of course you still
need the X-libs which adds to the size of things.

You could cut out the middle-man and go straight framebuffer, of course...
Shouldn't SDL-Squeak allow this?