Squeak/Linux.

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Aug 9 15:36:08 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Alan Grimes wrote:
>

>>Squeak should _NOT_ use X, as that would be redundant and wasteful.

I wouldn't go that far, but having the option would be nice.

> What could more easily accomplished would be to start Squeak as the *only*
> X application. Possibly drawing right into the root window. X in itself

That really saves a lot of memory and CPU power. But, unless you are
running a 3D application, you can save significantly in terms of
installation and runtime space by not using X at all. A real issue when
you run Squeak on a single board computer :-)

Michael

--

  "All of life's big problems include the words 'indictment' or
  'inoperable'. Everything else is small stuff." -- Alton Brown