Squeak/Linux.

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Aug 9 15:48:13 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 08:36:08AM -0700, Michael Rueger wrote:
> >>Squeak should _NOT_ use X, as that would be redundant and wasteful.
>
> I wouldn't go that far, but having the option would be nice.
>
> >What could more easily accomplished would be to start Squeak as the *only*
> >X application. Possibly drawing right into the root window. X in itself
>
> That really saves a lot of memory and CPU power. But, unless you are
> running a 3D application, you can save significantly in terms of
> installation and runtime space by not using X at all. A real issue when
> you run Squeak on a single board computer :-)

Have you guys looked at DirectFB (http://www.directfb.org/) ?  It is a
thin library and set of drivers build on top of the framebuffer
console.  It accelerates every 2D function it can through the video
card, and further, it has OpenGL with limited hardware acceleration for
that.  This appears to me to be the best of both worlds.  It isn't
ideal, but really, the only thing that would be ideal in my opinion is
squeak working well with hardware acceleration on bare metal.

--
Joshua D. Boyd