[BUG][FIX] netscape browser plugin change

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Aug 9 18:38:29 UTC 2002

In order to terminate the browser plugin, the interpreter C code must
from time to time check a flag, then quit when asked by the smalltalk
code, or via a request from the browser. Do a "BACK" say out of a
squeakland page to cnn.com for example causes the browser to request
the plugin to terminate. This flag is check on a long unconditional
jump and a new method activation.

However in testing 3.2.8b3 on the macintosh under os-x we found some
cases where we could hang IE. This turned out to be an issue with
squeak when it is idle. If there is only the idle loop process
running, then it seems there isn't a new method being activated, nor
a long unconditional jump taking place. Thus the termination flag
never is checked.

This change checks the termination flag after primitive invocation
which solves the problem, since the idle loop process calls a
primitive.

PS the code resolves to a extra boolean flag check on a primitive
call, hardly noticeable...