newbie question

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 11 16:07:32 UTC 2002

Ezhil,

Windows file names cannot contain certain characters and the colon is
one of them (colons are used for "special" file names like "COM1:",
"LPT1:" etc). From your description, it is not entirely clear to me what
you mean by "anticipating what the equivalent Windows file name will
be". If the file is created by Squeak, then these characters will be
replaced by hashmarks (#) and a file name like "foo:bar" would come out
as "foo#bar" (this is a standing rule on which you can rely). However,
if you mean that these files are copied to a Windows machine and get
replaced during this process then it depends on the mechanism you use
for copying. This is something you need to investigate and I can't be of
help here.

Generally, it is best not to use common special characters in file names
(colons, slashes etc). If you can (for example) replace the colons with
a minus life will be much easier for you ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas