IP: Kristen Nygaard 1926-2002 (fwd)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Aug 13 00:08:58 UTC 2002

Thanks Larry --

Friends --

      It seems impossible that both of these great men could have died
within a week of each other. I did not know Dahl well. He was a very
quiet man and looked at things very differently than I. But I was a
close friend, even a kind of soul mate, to Kristen. I'll never forget
when I met both of them. It was during the first HOPL. On the way to
the conference Dahl and Tony Hoare stopped by PARC to visit, and I
gave them a demo of Smalltalk. Neither understood a word I said.
Needless to say, I was crushed. It was seeing in 1966 the first
Simula after seeing Sketchpad that catalysed my earliest biologically
oriented ideas about objects.
      After the HOPL conference, Kristen stopped by and I gave him the
same demo. What a difference! He not only understood everything I
said, but often told me what I was going to show him next. He had
been thinking about further steps and he was completely thrilled to
see many of these ideas already in Smalltalk. We were great friends
from that day onwards. I have given many thousands of demos in the
last 40 years, but that was the one that meant the most to me.
      Kristen, we miss you terribly.

Sincerely to all,

Alan

---------