How to write our own primitives in squeak..........

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:53:39 UTC 2002

Ragothaman.Sridharan at cybernetsoft.com wrote:

>                I've tried writing my own primitive in Squeak. But I faced a
> lot of problems while doing it. I have some doubts. The materials some
> websites are not clear. Pl. send me a detailed procedure for writing the
> primitives in Squeak and how to rebuild my VM in Windows.

Just to give you a start, you might check out the nu blue book by Kim
Rose and Mark Guzdial, which has a chapter about writing primitives.  It
won't help you with recompiling on specific platforms, but it will help
you with writing the primitives.

I haven't checked the websites, so can't help there.

In general, it's not the friendliest process possible, but at least
there *is* a process.

Also, you might check into Foreign Function Interface (FFI).  Maybe you
can write your extension as a regular C function, and then call it via
FFI.

-Lex