Squeak3.2 for linux

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Aug 14 08:07:41 UTC 2002

Stef,

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> I'm just an happy unix (mac OS X fan) and I'm lost in the apparent mess of
> the linux folder in the
> official distribution, rpm, debian, vm ....

Not my fault.  ;)

> How can I get the equivalent of the Squeak3.2-4952-MacOS-Full and Squeak3.
> 2-4952-win-Full distribution?

Grab the .sources, .image/changes and whichever architecture-dependent VM
tarball(s) you need from

  www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak

(I think the image tarball is still at 4917 -- I'll update it to 4952
later today given that [i] Scott seems to have slowed down on new
updates, and [ii] it might make your life easier.)

> I have the impression that the squeak distribution is lacking a real
> packaging for limux.

I make tarballs (which extract and self-install into /usr/local on any
Unix system) and RPMs (which install into /usr on RedHat/YellowDog/any
RPM-based distrib) of : the current .sources, a (usually) up-to-date
image/changes, and the latest VMs for Linux/PPC, Linux/386 and Solaris.
(Whatever "mess" anyone else might create by repackaging the contents of
the above is totally out of my control.)

There are even full instructions for the Unix-illiterate at

  www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/download.html

I think Lex Spoon makes the .deb packages.  (I'm not sure what from, but I
suspect he can be trusted implicitly to get it right.)

What other kind of "packaging" did you have in mind?

For a CD, I would suggest you use the tarballs since they will work
regardless of what kind of package management is used locally.  (Plus,
being installed in /usr/local, it's utterly obvious what to delete to
effect a "manual uninstall" later.  If you really think an uninstall
script is vitally important, just ask for one.)

The only reason I don't make "full" distributions is that I'd have to make
12 tarballs/RPMs (of dubious utility) containing close to 50 MB of stuff
each.  If you really want a huge snapshot of a full installation then you
only need to ask and I'll make a "one-off" just for you.

> Thanks for any information, else I will drop linux for our cd.

That would be a pity, given the amount of effort I put into making the
tarballs trivial to use (not to mention updated automatically from source
every night).

Ian