SqueakMap shaping up...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Aug 15 05:14:49 UTC 2002

"Norton, Chris" <chrisn at Kronos.com> wrote:
> Göran wrote:
>
> "... I am simply amazed at the low amount of feedback so far. Don't you all
> see the importance of this tool?"
>
> Chris replies:
>
> Hi Göran.  :-)
>
> Frankly, I'm up to my eyeballs in work, so Squeak (which is a hobby for me)
> has taken the back seat for a while.  I do like the concept of SqueakMap,
> but I don't have the time right now to get involved.

No problem. I am simply just looking for replies such as this one!

> FWIW, I did look over your web pages a couple of times.  One thing that I
> think is crucial in a system like this is a built-in compatibility matrix.
> If an application, for example, was written for Squeak 2.8 and also works
> against 3.0, the SqueakMap entry should identify this fact.  In fact, you
> should be able to browse for apps by Squeak compatibility.

Yes, good point.

> Here's a use case I would suggest is "typical".
[SNIP of good detailed usecase]

I agree. SqueakMap should support this usecase. I am aiming at getting
SqueakMap running without these features though and then add them in
version 1.1 (so to speak). Otherwise it will just never get running...

- The compatibility attribute could be solved by the current use of
"mandatory categories".
- Adding what I call "annotations" (a simple generalized feedback
mechanism to handle bugreports, plain feedback, additional info, usage
reports etc) could probably solve the part describing the feedback. It
would be nice to be able to have Squeak "blurt out" a detailed
description of the environment (Squeak VM version, image update level,
OS version etc) to accompany such annotations.
- Being able to register multiple versions of the same package is
something I had postponed. I haven't thought it through and perhaps it
isn't that complicated.

> I hope that SqueakMap will be able to handle this example.  :-)

I agree, it sounds useful. Thanks for the feedback - exactly what I was
looking for.

> Cheers & best wishes,
>
> ---==> Chris

Cheers, Göran