SqueakMap shaping up...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 16 08:46:26 UTC 2002

Henrik Gedenryd <h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk> wrote:
[SNIP]
> It looks nice. You know I like it since we talked about this a long time ago
> :-)
>
> > 1. Are there more/less fields you would like to have for
> > packages/repositories?
>
> I would suggest that a registrant should identify him/herself with their
> Author Initials only, and that SM then validates that the initials indeed
> are registered on the correct Minnow page. This greatly reduces the
> redundancy of the various schemes.

Hmm, ok. Sure, could do that. And then extract email and name from
minnow?
Yep, that would be nice. Perhaps we could also offer the current variant
for anybody not registered at minnow.

> Also, if you register a module path then the url becomes redundant since the
> module repository code handles that binding automatically. And if you don't
> register a module then you need no path but only the url. So it's either or
> it seems.

You mean the download url? True. But it could be available as both a
Module and a ChangeSet!
So I won't disallow it.

> Third, a version specification seems appropriate, to specify what version(s)
> of Squeak it is intended for (a full-text field for human consumption).

Yes, I agree but I was thinking of using a mandatory Category for that:

Squeak version
  2.6
  2.8
  3.0
  3.1
  3.2
  3.3

Perhaps you saw that I added "Maturity level" exactly like that.

> > 2. Besides keyword searching, are there some very important "view" you
> > would like to have in the web UI?
>
> "Recent changes" would be nice: today, last week, month--or even since a
> date you can specify.

Yes, I realized that too.

> > 3. Beside the fact that I will add some CSS to the HTML to make it
> > "nicer", are there any really important improvements you can come up
> > with? (just saying it's ugly doesn't count)
>
> Seemed a tad slow to me today, but that's probably an irrelevant point at
> this stage.

I know what that was - I ran a full backup of the machine today so Gzip
stole a lot of CPU.

> A screenshot feature would increase the coolness factor, as would a script

Ah, yes of course. With thumbnails perhaps...

> generated front page with the top ten downloads or some such. Or the front

Well, SqueakMap doesn't (currently) store any real packages so it can't
really count downloads...
But most viewed etc can of course be shown.

> page could rotate a list of eye-candy-type entries to make it more
> interesting. Cf. www.c64.com or http://tiktok.demon.co.uk/mame/ ;-)
>
> > 4. If SqueakMap was operational today - would you use it to register
> > your packages? And if not, why not? :-)
>
> The question is, when I release something next time, would I then use SM?
>
> One issue is, if SM is the place, then how do I specify the package in a
> mail to e.g. this list, so that people can click on it to automatically get
> there? So I guess I am asking for a convenient plain text url format. E.g.
>
> http://SqueakMap.whatever/page?"My Exact Package Name"

Yeah, could add that. The names can change though. Currently the url is:
> http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/package/49b75e94-d5a8-45db-a937-fd6a493e7191

...where the last part is the UUID for the package which never changes.
I could add the feature with a simple match-pattern and if no package
(or multiple) matches it can present that for the user.

> It might also help if the "live" SM is filled with existing packages by some
> brave volunteer, so that there is a critical mass to make people want to go
> there and look.

I will make that happen I think. Or some of us can do it together.

> Henrik

regards, Göran