[ANN] SqueakMap-020815

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 16 09:15:53 UTC 2002

Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 12:54:25PM -0700, Ned Konz wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 August 2002 11:50 am, Göran Hultgren wrote:
> > > 4. If the downloaded file is a cs.gz the tool could offer to
> > > decompress and file it in. That would be nice.
> >
> > Or (even better) in a .zip (which could also include multiple CS's,
> > like a test suite, etc.). There is comprehensive support in Squeak
> > for zips.
> >
> > We could make the standard distribution format based on zip:
> >

> How do Projects fit into this?
>
> I allways liked the idea to provide an out-of-the box working
> project in addition to the fileIn. Projects allow new users to
> play with the enhancement/addon very easily.
> It would be even good for non-morphic stuff (e.g. a library of some sort)
> to provide a project as interactive documentation: The project should
> contain lots of simple (and not so simple) example that show how to use the
> library.
>
> (see "WORKS OUT OF THE BOX" pattern in: "The Selfish Class":
> http://www.laputan.org/selfish/selfish.html)

I agree. Good idea.

Perhaps we could add a general "attachment" feature to SqueakMap
packages? Typical attachment types could be:
	Screenshots
	Projects

...more? And when adding an attachment you would first have to select
the type of the attachment of course. These would all be handled by the
registrant just like the rest of the information about the package.

Regarding bug reports, fixes etc I am thinking of handling them through
another mechanism that I call "annotations".
I think those are of a different kind - for example, anyone should be
able to add such an annotation to a package.

regards, Göran