Squeak on Acorns

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Aug 17 23:37:59 UTC 2002

On Saturday 17 August 2002 19:40, Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi Alan--
>
> > I think Squeak on Acorns will be big in the very near future ....
>
> 	The font antialiasing on my machine isn't as good as the Acorn's;
> the second sentence in your message just came through as an ellipsis.
> ;)
>
> 	Why will Squeak on Acorns be big in the very near future?

Well, first I checked the date from Alan's post. Since he has sometimes
emailed us from the future, he might have been writing from 1989 this
time ;-)

Then I remembered that the code name for the IBM PC was "Acorn", but
that is probably not it.

A quick check on the web showed me the amazing fact that there are
currently four companies selling **new** RiscOS computers. I thought
Acorn was dead, but obviously its machine is not. I am impressed. There
is a lot of Amiga activity in Germany and some guy is designing a new
generation of MSX machines in Japan. Heck, even TRON is still alive.
What next - a 30th anniversary Alto?

Back to the Acorn... could this be related to the other mystery Alan
keeps hinting at: the parallel (distributed?) media creation thing?
Nahhh... only a slashdotter would look at a neat old machine and think
"how about a Beowulf cluster of these?" :-)

-- Jecel