sound with linux rpm

Brian Keefer mgomes21 at cox.net
Sun Aug 18 01:52:20 UTC 2002

John Hinsley wrote:

> > > I tried it from /etc/init.d/boot.local (SuSE doesn't have a
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.local) but I'm sure that the module is being loaded
> > > (or loaded twice with your code in!).
> > >
> > > Stangely (or maybe not) while /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss exists,
> > > init reports that it doesn't (it exists as an empty document, owned
> > > by root).
> >
> > It doesn't exist until the snd-pcm-oss module is loaded and starts up.
>
> Ah, then I'm doomed ;-)

I (used to *) have alsa working with squeak with those same contortions. I
had a nice little /etc/alsafix.sh script called by /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

#!/bin/sh
/bin/echo "Setting alsa junk"
CTLDEV=/proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
/bin/cat /dev/null > /dev/audio # needs to be opened first
/bin/echo "erase" > $CTLDEV
/bin/echo "squeak 2 8192" > $CTLDEV
#and many more echos for other apps

* - With each alsa revision, it got progressively harder to turn off the
default muting. After 2 days of fighting rc2, I just went with OSS-Free.
I'll only go back when it actually supports software mixing (i.e. never).