[MinneStore] - On the road again

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 16:38:37 UTC 2002

--- "Magistrello Alejandro (SFA)"

--- Benoit St-Jean wrote:
>Well, I wouldn't say that. One advantage MinneStore
>has over Magma is that it's already been ported to a
>number of other Smalltalk dialects. Don't
>underestimate that benefit !
>
>And who said the these two can't co-exist ? :)

I'm not too familiar with MinneStore, but I know it has been around a while and
my impression is as a solid, reliable solution that has built up a *proven*
track record.  This is an important psychology when you value your persistent
objects and want to feel comfortable and confident that they will be available
when you need them.  Magma is still too new for most people to trust for
anything critical.

No one database will ever be the best solution for every situation.  As Magma
matures, Minnestore will continue to serve the needs of many as it already has
for years.  For one thing, Magma is probably bigger than Minnestore.  If, for
example, someone is developing for a small computer such as a PDA, they may not
want the more than 300K of Magma client code.

MinneStore is a Squeak legacy!  I hope you will stick with it!

Regards,
  Chris