[ANN] SqueakMap-020815

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Aug 19 08:51:34 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 August 2002 11:07 pm, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Yeah, I know. I just had to ask because I know you would whip up a
> > browser faster than I could get the first button working.
>
> I don't know about that. (Most of the time spent getting the first
> button working will be trying to figure out which button class to
> use).

:-)

> > Could you perhaps point me to an existing browser that is coded in
> > a "good modern Morphic/pluggable fashion" that I could use as a
> > template? I have a visual design in my head and NO, NO, NO, it does
> > NOT use a tree widget :-)...
>
> Do you want the browser to work in MVC too? In that case, you'd use
> the Pluggable* components.

Well, personally I couldn't care less for MVC but since this is aimed to
become a central tool for Squeak it should work there too.

> What kinds of widgets do you need?

Well, since I don't fancy the tree widget (in general in any GUI or OS)
I am thinking of a design similar to a normal browser actually:

- The "class category" (as in the normal system browser) pane will show
SqueakMap categories. Since those are structured in a tree I am thinking
of a "file browsing" paradigm where you can "double click" a category to
enter it and somehow "back up" (similar to "..") using a button or
something.

- The "classes in category" pane would show subcategories of selected
category in the "class category" pane. So essentially you can see "one
level down" easily.

- The "method category" pane would show packages in selected category in
the "classes in category" pane. Multiselection possible.

- The "methods" pane would be for collecting packages. By using a button
or some menu choice in the "method category" pane you would be able to
"copy" packages over to this pane and thus "collect" packages into a
selection for further actions on them (like installing etc).

- The "method source" pane below is used to present info on recently
"clicked" package or category.

Well, something like that... :-)

> Otherwise, you have a somewhat freer rein.

Well, I understand but I don't think it would be fair to ignore MVC in
this area.

> Look at the MessageSet for an example of a Pluggable (Morphic/MVC) UI
> that uses most of the pluggable components.

Thanks.

regards, Göran